Atomic Aquatics Smoke Split Fins
Why SplitFins give you more propulsion with less air consumption
All it took was watching the tail fins of fish – except that we couldn’t keep up with them because our traditional fins took too much effort. Using hard kicking paddle fins can result in leg strain, fatigue and cramping. Because of the kick resistance of a paddle fin, divers often “felt” like they were moving fast. But underwater speedometers proved that these divers were actually moving relatively slow.
SplitFins deliver more propulsion with less drag and kick with less effort. Reducing the stress and strain of the kick results in greater sustained speed, power and comfort. Independent testing has also confirmed that SplitFin design significantly reduces air consumption.
Not all SplitFins are created the same.
Splitfins come in a variety of shapes, sizes and stiffness. These contribute greatly to overall comfort and performance. A fin with short, soft blades will kick easier than a longer, stiffer one, but will require many more kicks to travel the same distance. A blade that is too stiff will require too much effort to kick comfortably.
The Atomic SplitFin was specifically designed to optimize all these variables. They are easy kicking fins that deliver high thrust, speed, and efficiency with a comfortable, low-frequency kick cycle.
How To Swim With Atomic SplitFins
Don’t worry about how easy the SplitFins are to kick. There is nothing wrong, you’re probably already going just as fast as you did with your old fins. Although they work with a variety of kicking styles, you should adapt to a smaller range, more frequent flutter kick for maximum performance.
The smaller-range rapid flutter kick also keeps your legs within the slipstream of your body so that you punch a hole in the water that is only as big as your shoulders and your tank. Remember, less drag means more speed and less effort.
How Atomic Aquatics SplitFins Work
SplitFin Wings “Slice” Through the Water
Traditional paddle fins work by pushing water rearward. As a paddle fin is pushed through the water, much of the water spills over the top surface of the blade and sticks to it, creating drag. Extra kicking effort is required to overcome that drag. The Atomic SplitFin slices through the water with two wing-shaped surfaces, creating lift and forward propulsion more like a propeller. Any water traveling over the top of the blade is funneled into and out of the opening (split) between the wings. Drag is reduced, effort is reduced, and efficiency is increased.
Propeller-Fin™ Technology Moves You Faster
Atomic Aquatics SplitFins use Propeller-Fin Technology to deliver ultra-high speeds with a small-range rapid flutter kick. This works in the same manner that increasing the RPM on a boat propeller accelerates a boat to high speeds.
Multi-Composite Plastics And Other Uniquely Atomic Features
The Atomic signature is our use of exotic materials specifically designed to improve performance. We developed multi-composite plastics for the SplitFins to maximize the efficiency of the kick with less fatigue. Flexible side rails and a stiff foot pocket are combined with stiff battens in the blade to control the flex pattern for optimum performance. Our patented EZ-LOK Buckle System is one of those distinct Atomic features that make divers love us even more.
Spring Heel Straps A Patented Atomic Exclusive
Another “rethinking” of something simple, the unique rust-resistant stainless steel springs were designed with variable pitch geometry. Divers get a more comfortable fit and easy one-hand removal, yet the springs are resistant to deformation if overstretched. Included on the “Smoke on the Water” Splitfin and available for all Atomic SplitFins or as a universal retrofit for other brands.
The Universal Spring Straps share the same features found on Atomic Springs but are made to fit almost any other brand of open heel fins. Available in medium and long.
Atomic Aquatics Split Fins Colour Range
Even with the slightest kick, the split blade deflects to form a pair of wings that slice through the water with reduced drag, creating lift in the forward direction to propel you ahead. Compared to conventional fins, the Atomic SplitFin® swims with less effort, stress and strain resulting in greater sustained speed, power and comfort. Independent testing has shown that this design can significantly reduce air consumption.
- POWER RAILS The backbone of the SplitFin, the highly resilient power rails, store and releases energy with every kick. Proprietary and exclusive to Atomic Aquatics, this material will not deteriorate or lose its resiliency.
- FLEX BATTENS Semi-rigid battens set in the soft elastomeric blade controls the precise wing shape to optimize thrust and reduce drag.
- SPLIT BLADE The split blade deflects with the slightest kick to form a pair of wings that slice through the water with reduced drag, propelling you forward.
- HIGH SURFACE RATIO BLADE Large surface area blade improves pivoting, turning and alternate kicking styles.
- HINGE POINTS Thin, yet strong and highly flexible hinge points between the semi-rigid battens cause the blade to react quickly and efficiently to the slightest kick.
- ANATOMICALLY CORRECT FOOT POCKET Contoured to fit your foot without stress points, with semi-open toe for added comfort.
- POWER PLATE Internal sole plate creates a rigid platform beneath the foot for more exceptional power transfer to the blade yet allows for a soft, comfortable foot pocket.
- EZ-LOK BUCKLE SYSTEM An Atomic exclusive, our patented buckle system design features easy, the quick one-handed release of the buckle from the fin. Re-attachment is simple and secure (U.S. Patent NO. 6,463,640).
- VARIABLE GEOMETRY SPRING HEEL STRAPS Unique rust-resistant Stainless Steel springs are designed with variable pitch geometry for easy stretching, yet resistant to deformation if overstretched. A slight pull on the large finger grip stretches the spring to quickly and easily slide your fins on or off. Available for all Atomic Fins and a Universal retrofit for most other brands.
- WARRANTY & CARE Atomic Aquatics fins are warranted against defects for a period of one year. Keep out of direct sunlight when possible to avoid colour fading. Store your fins with the foot pocket inserts in place and in a manner that prevents deforming.